Friday, December 15, 2017

Outta My Comfort Zone

Day 248

Today I stepped out of my comfort zone and walked into an Olympic weightlifting gym. I can't believe how nervous I was to do something so simple. I really need to spread my wings a little more.


So... the reason?

I want to see what I can do, if anything, with Olympic lifting. When I learned the snatch in Texas, I fell in love with it. It's a complex lift that has to be executed just right or disaster could strike. But the true love affair started when I took the class led by a competitive lifter. I liked the experience of learning under a coach again (I was a figure skater growing up) and the feeling of accomplishment as I performed the exercises better with each rep. 

The coach told me that if I was thinking of getting into lifting, I should. I picked it up naturally.

Now, I don't know if that's really true, but if anyone can help me learn, it's Coach Broz and he's at this gym. His team just placed at worlds and he's known all over the world. My birthday is in 10 days and all I've asked for is a session with him to see what training would be like and if this is what I really want to do.

After that, who knows. I still need to finish my Spartan goal and I'm not sure if I'm ready to let go of the lifeline a trainer provides, so a transition would be slow. I haven't completely ruled out CrossFit either. Two weeks showed me just what it can do for my body.

I'll be stepping into new places over the next couple of weeks to explore a little before I take any final steps. It should prove interesting.

No comments: