Most anyone who knows me knows that I have struggled with my weight for the last 17 years. If you've known me for a long time, you know it's been since the birth of my first child. For the last decade and a half, I have tried just about everything to lose weight and failed. Weight Watchers, Body for Life, South Beach, counting calories, portion control, metabolism diets, 21-Day Fix, etc., etc., ETC!
Here's what I learned:
1. If I'm not 100% perfect at these lifestyle changes, I lose NOTHING!!!
I say lifestyle changes as opposed to diets because, in the end, that's what I'm hoping to accomplish. Though fad diets, boxed nutrition and garcinia cambogia is becoming more and more tempting at this point, I don't believe that is the healthiest way to become healthy. Whole foods, lots of water, exercise and plenty of sleep is what I believe will make me the person I want to be. I just wish this lifestyle change promised results as quickly as the fads, because, let's face it, when results are slow, it's hard to keep going.
2. Exercise IS and IS NOT part of the issue.
I have no problem getting my exercise in. It's a habit I can easily get into. In fact, right now I run/walk 4 miles twice a week and do a rowing workout 3 days a week. HOWEVER, now that I'm pushing 40, I'm having to admit that my body is getting old. There are aches, pains and injuries that I never had to deal with when jumping into an exercise program before. AND, when there is an injury from something stupid, it takes me much longer to recover. I can't always just push through the pain anymore.
3. I get bored.
Did you know it's super hard to stick with a lifestyle change when you eat the same foods over and over again? No? Well, it is for me. I've got to have variety and lots of it. Unfortunately, finding and cooking new recipes can be expensive and time consuming and, with 5 kids, time is not something I have a lot of. The result? I eat a lot of the same things over and over, get bored and fall off the band wagon.
4. I have a lot of excuses.
Obviously I think conditions need to be perfect for me to make any headway. The right food, the painless body, the perfect will. These things will likely never all co-exist at once. The trick is to get myself to press on despite the challenges life throws at me, which leads me to the last thing I've learned...
5. The only real time I made significant progress was when I blogged about my journey and posted it for all to see.
It's extraordinarily embarrassing, but it keeps me on track. I hope to post daily, but don't expect anyone to actually read it. Should you need a little support in your own journey, though, know that I'm here, reaching out, searching for my own path to good health.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This was right on. I have always told myself that my weight didn't happen overnight. So it won't away overnight either. Keep up the great work.
Post a Comment