Thursday, November 16, 2017

Making Goals

Day 219

Let's talk goals today. One of the chapters in the text that I found to be the most empowering was on making goals. I really liked that ISSA (International Sports Sciences Association) separates goals into 2 different categories: outcome goals and behavior goals.

Your outcome goals are just what they sound like: the result, or outcome, you would like to achieve. Losing 20 pounds by March would be an example of an outcome goal. These are important goals as they shape your program, but they're goals that you don't have complete control over. That's where behavior goals come in.

Behavior goals are goals that you have complete control over and are uber important. They are what you plan to do to achieve your outcome goals. Daily exercise and adhering to a nutrition plan would be examples of behavior goals. These goals need to be assessed and adjusted periodically in order to achieve your outcome goal.

So what are my outcome and behavior goals?

Well, I've already discussed my performance goals, but I also have a fat loss goal.

Outcome Goal: Right now I'm a size 18/XL. I would like to be a size 14/16 and a large by the beginning of March when I start my training program and run the Spartan.

Behavior Goals:
1. Adhere to my nutrition plan.
2. Train 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day, 6 days per week
3. Keep a record of both my nutrition and my training.
4. Assess my progress bi-weekly and adjust as needed to keep my fat loss on track.

No comments: