Saturday, September 30, 2017

Just Call Me Egor

Day 172

Sometimes you gotta blow something up before you can build something better.

Yep.

That's the kinda week it has been.

My trainer and I have not seen eye to eye on the subject of what my knees can handle. I think I am capable of more and want to be pushed harder. He says, "No way," until my knees don't give me so much trouble. You know, the whole I'm stubborn and impatient, but he's probably right routine. The poor man is probably going to throw a party the day he no longer has to train me.

Anyway, words were said. Feelings expressed. He probably wanted to throw me out a window, but BECAUSE of the slightly heated discussion, we may have finally stumbled across a potential cause of my pain. Turns out 12+ years of carrying kids, being overweight and possibly an old knee injury may have affected the way I walk. Next session would be a gait assessment to get some answers.

Great! Hope!

Except, he said something that, honest though it may have been, was uninformed and tore a hole right through me. It completely derailed me. Nutrition? Out the Window. Exercise? What's that? I did nothing but stew (and cry) over one simple sentence.

I knew that in order to be able to work with him - and I need to be able to in order to fix my knees - I was going to have to talk to him about it. Unfortunately, my verbal skills are far from stellar when talking to people that I don't know really well. I stumble over words and lose my train of thought. I am often more comfortable singing a solo in front of hundreds of people than holding a conversation with just one. I'm awkward. Just no way around it.

Anyway, Friday approached. What did I do? Laugh all you want, but I took in notes. AND I USED THEM!! I told my story quickly and effectively. He got it... I think.

We got to work.

Me? More subdued and respectful of his expertise.

He? More understanding. I don't know that I'm his favorite client, by any means, but hopefully I'm not his least favorite any longer. Lol.

So, I walked on the treadmill at different speeds for about 10 minutes while he examined every angle of my gait and took notes. The result?

Just call me Egor.

I don't bend my knees like I should. I kick my legs out in front of me, the snap likely causing pain in the knee. Instead of stepping into my heal, I catch it on the way back, the impact likely causing more pain in the knee. My right foot steps out at a 45 degree angle. My stride is uneven and my left leg swings around instead of through when I bring it forward.

Wait. I'm not done.

My right shoulder is pulled back, causing my right arm to swing at my side. My left swings in front of my leg. My hips, on the other hand, are exactly the opposite. My left is pulled back and my right is out front.

He said I have the gait of someone who's been carrying a great load on one side for a very long time. Who knew kids could have THAT effect?!?!

What does this mean, you ask?

Well, remember that blog post where I talked about learning to fly? Turns out I gotta learn how to walk first.

He's teaching me exercises that will help correct my gait and I have to be mindful of how I'm walking for the next several weeks. When I feel like I'm walking normally, I look like I walk like Egor. When I feel like I'm walking like Egor, I look normal. (It's true. He proved it with video footage - which is unfortunately on his phone, so I can't show you.)

I'm not quite sure what this means as far as my training yet. I'm going to see if he's willing to help me figure out a new training schedule that is "Steve Approved" and still helps me reach my goals, while helping my knees. My race in five weeks is going to be interesting as I will likely have to decrease my running.

No comments: