Monday, May 1, 2017

To Progress Or Not To Progress, That Is The Question

Days 17, 18, 19 and 20

Do you see that last number up there? TWENTY! I've been at this twenty days and, except for Easter, have not deviated. Hopefully I'm making progress. I'm going at this health thing a little differently than I have in the past. Sure, I'm doing crazy workouts, like normal, but this whole macronutrient thing is throwing me a bit of a curve ball. Calories in/calories out has always been my thing in the past. The bigger the calorie deficit, the faster you lose. Problem is, the faster you lose the more likely you are to gain everything back and then some. That's probably been a part of my weight gain problem in the past.

I finally met with the nutritionist on Thursday. He told me the program I'm using had calorie and macro goals set up all wrong. The amount of carbs it wanted me to eat was not even possible. Yay! I don't have to try and get so many carbs in! Just 35% of my calories now come from carbs, which is about 201g. BUT he jacked my calories up by 600 calories! SIX HUNDRED! I'm now on a 2300 calorie diet, which is an insane amount of food when you are eating healthily. I seem to end up with around 400-600 uneaten calories every day and I'm stuffed. Oh, and by the way, since he upped my calories, the amount of grams of carbs I'm supposed to eat basically stayed the same in the end.

And don't even get me started on the protein. 40% of my calories are now supposed to come from protein. Dude, I don't know if you've ever tried to eat 230g of protein a day, but it's nigh on impossible. Even with a protein shake I can't do it.

Judging by my rant, it's safe to say that I'm a little nervous about this approach. The first day I tried getting all the protein in and it made me sick to my stomach. Also, I've gained about a pound and a half since I made the switch. I thought maybe he upped my calories too much, but I found a macronutrient calculator and the nutritionist was right on. Here's hoping I'm retaining water.

Today was slightly better. My nutrient balance was better, though I'm still ending the day with about 500 uneaten calories. I'm satiated, though, so is it really a big deal? ... Probably.

I've done some research on this, but have just barely scratched the surface. I understand the concept. I'm trying to lose fat while not slowing my metabolism. The large amount of protein will help build muscle while simultaneously making my body burn fat by not providing it with another energy source through excessive carbs. Unfortunately, I'm slow to immediately accept someone's knowledge without proof and the weight gain is immediately off-putting. I'm going to do more research and stick with it a couple weeks to see if I continue to progress or not.

We'll see...

P.S. - If you know of any great reading material on macronutrients and weight-loss, I'd love a little imput. Thanks bunches!


No comments: